Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ice Cream


While waiting for more children to arrive at the playground in the mall,
I asked Mema if she remembered any of her birthdays as a child.

Oh yes! We would have all the kids come in
and have cake and ice cream and play games.

I asked what kind of ice cream she liked the best.

Any kind.
But my favorite is butter pecan.
I just love all those nuts.
My mom would make ice cream in the ice cream maker.

I asked in February?

Oh yes! She would make ice cream all year around.

Then the children came, and we were distracted.
Every year is the best birthday.

I know she likes ice cream.
Every time I would take her to the grocery store,
she always made a bee line for the ice cream,
even if she had a full gallon in the freezer.
We didn't want to run out of butter pecan or cake cones.

I even try to get her to try another flavor of ice cream.
She may get it, but always saves it for the girls when they come.

A great gift is a jar of those wet nuts you put as a topping!

This lady always says she is not hungry,
but will eat until her plate is clean....
and all the left overs are gone,
if she thinks you will be throwing them away.
And then have an ice cream cone for dessert!
Gotta love being 88 years old,
when you are allowed to be free enough to have dessert!

1 comment:

purplelady71 said...

I remember when my Mother (Dorothy) would make ice cream as a special treat for me and my siblings on a Sunday afternoon after we had eaten chuck roast (always on Sunday) with mashed potatoes and carrotts. We always had vanilla but when she and Dad could afford it, she would throw in a few nuts and chocolate.
Wonderful memories.